K-1 Visa


The amazing technological advancements that have developed over the past few decades have greatly changed how people come to meet and develop their interpersonal relationships. Often times, instead of meeting face-to-face, these new forms of technology, such as dating services and social networking sites, operate as useful tools for couples who may live in separate countries to become closer and further develop their relationships. Additionally, international travel is increasingly common and inexpensive.

Many couples may meet during their work, studies, or vacation abroad and fall in love. Often, they seek to continue those relationships as long-distance once they return home. However, there does come a time when these couples decide that they would like to take the necessary steps to live together in the United States and further strengthen their relationship. While the immigration process does typically take an extended period of time, it is understandable that being forced to wait such long periods of time could put a strain on a relationship; therefore, the K-Visa categories were created for these instances.


In order for a person to be eligible for a K-1 visa, the petitioner must be a U.S. citizen. If you are a U.S. citizen hoping to bring your fiancé into the country, you must demonstrate that you intend to marry within 90 days of his or her entry. You must provide evidence that you have met your fiancé in person at least once within the two years prior to the filing unless the meeting would violate a long-established custom or the meeting would result in extreme hardship.


In order to apply for a K-1 fiancé visa, you must provide proof of the following:

  1. You must prove you intend to marry within ninety days of the fiancé’s entry.
  2. You must prove the marriage will be legal.
  3. You must prove you’ve met the fiancé within two years of filing the petition. This requirement may be waived in circumstances where an in-person meeting was impossible, due to customs or social practices in the foreign culture.
  4. You must provide a criminal record, if any. Your petition may be denied if you’ve been convicted of a criminal offense against a minor.
  5. You must demonstrate that your fiancé is financially self sufficient (with a job already lined up), or that you will be able to financially support both of you.
  6. You must prove your fiancé is allowed to enter the United States. He or she may be inadmissible if he or she has a criminal record, has lied during the K-1 petitioning process, or has a previous history of staying illegally in the U.S. If he or she is inadmissible, a special waiver may be needed to acquire a K-1 fiancé visa.

K-1 Suitable For

Fiancé or Fiancée of U.S. citizens to enter the U.S. and marry the U.S. citizen within 90 days. The I-485 Application for adjustment of status to permanent residency can then be filed with the local USCIS office having jurisdiction over their residence.

How We Can Help Obtain Your K-1 Visa

Filing for a K-1 fiancé visa can be time consuming and tedious. Your petition must be approved by many governmental departments. It requires an enormous amount of paperwork, leaving plenty of room for error that can result in the denial or delay of your visa. We advise you to work with your choice of experienced K-1 fiancé visa lawyer to expedite the process and ensure you and your future spouse can be together without hassle as quickly as possible.

A visa consultant can fill out your paperwork but cannot provide you with professional legal advice concerning immigration law. Consultants are vulnerable to errors which can be devastating to your case. Often, visa consultants cost as much or more as fiancé visa lawyers with specialized skills, yet they lack the in-depth knowledge of immigration law that is required to navigate the field of fiancée visas with adequate success and efficiency.

Our K-1 visa attorneys experience benefits you in several key areas. We:

  • Clarify options and potential scenarios surrounding your case.
  • Assist you in collecting the proper documentation.
  • Correctly classify the application and ensure requirements are met.
  • Prepare and submit all forms and documentation.
  • Communicate with the  USCIS, and the Consulate.
  • Monitor the entire K-1visa immigration application process.

K-1 Visa Attorney Experience & Responsiveness that Makes a Difference. Our K-1 Attorney Pledge:

  • 100% focused on processing your K-1 Visa quickly & successfully.
  • Strong K-1 Visa lawyer experience & deep knowledge of  K-1 Visas, consular processing, & USCIS.
  • Best in class service and a commitment to open, responsive communication.
  • Outstanding level of K-1 Visa Lawyer service at an affordable FLAT rate.
  • To discuss your case call: (415)-693-9131 or Mail Us.

Something very important you may want to know

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. 1
    Are My Children Required to Travel with Me?

    Your children may travel with (accompany) you to the United States or travel later (follow-to-join). Like you, your children must travel within the validity of their K-2 visas. Separate petitions are not required if the children accompany or follow to join you within one year from the date of issuance of your K-1 visa. If they want to travel later than one year from the date your K-1 visa was issued, they will not be eligible to receive K-2 visas, and separate immigrant visa petitions will be required. If your child has a valid K-2 visa and you have already adjusted status to that of permanent resident, your child may still travel on the K-2 visa.

  2. 2
    How Long Will It Take to Get My K Visa?

    For Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), you can visit the USCIS website for the status of your petition. Once your case has been received from NVC by the U.S. Embassy or Consulate that will process it, the length of time varies from case to case according to its circumstances. Some cases are delayed because applicants do not follow instructions carefully or supply incomplete information. (It is important to give us correct postal addresses and telephone numbers.) Some visa applications require further administrative processing, which takes additional time after the visa applicant’s interview by a Consular Officer.


Please provide your quick information.

K-1 Visa Attorney Consultation

      This website is meant solely for the purpose of information and not for the purposes of providing legal advice. The website owners do not claim copy right on any article, document or judgement posted in this site.


      San Francisco: 415-693-9131