E-1 Visa


This visa allows business persons who are citizens of countries that have entered into trade treaties with the United States to more easily engage in international trading activities within the United States as long as they plan on either individually engaging in substantial trade with the U.S. or they work for an organization that does substantial trade with the United States.


In order to obtain an E-1 visa from the U.S. Department of State, the following are required to present to the consular officer as part of your application:

  1.  You must show that your nationality is among those countries with treaties with the U.S. to permit the E-1 visa;
  2. Evidence that substantial trade is or will occur between your country and the U.S.;
  3. Proof that there is a corporate relationship between the foreign and U.S. entity, where appropriate;
  4. Basic information about the company and about the job that the E-1 visa holder will be employed in within the U.S.;
  5. Biographical information for the applicant exhibiting that she or he is qualified for the position;
  6. Basic biographical information for any family members who will be applied for as derivatives applicants;
  7. Proof or explanation that the visa holder intends to depart the U.S. once the job assignment is completed.


  1. E-1 visas can initially be granted for up to two years, during which time the holder may travel freely in and out of the U.S.
  2. An E-1 visa can be renewed in two-year increments an unlimited number of times. This can allow the Treaty Trader to remain in the U.S. for a prolonged period to ensure the continued success of the business.
  3. An E-1 holder who travels abroad may generally be granted an automatic two-year period of readmission when returning to the U.S.
  4. An E-1 holder will receive authorization to work legally in the United States for the trading firm.
  5. Unlike the L-1 visa, there is no requirement for qualified employees to have worked for the Trader for at least one year previously.
  6. Visas are available for an E-1 applicant’s accompanying spouse and unmarried children (under 21 years of age). The applicant’s spouse may apply for work authorization in the United States without restrictions as to the place of employment. However, the children may not accept employment.

Treaty Countries

The following countries currently have treaties with the U.S. supportive of your filing for an E-1 visa:

  • Argentina
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Bolivia
  • Bosnia
  • Brunei
  • Canada
  • Chile
  • China
  • Colombia
  • Costa Rica
  • Croatia
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Ethopia
  • Finland

  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Honduras
  • Iran
  • Ireland
  • Israel
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Jordan
  • South Korea
  • Latvia
  • Liberia
  • Luxembourg
  • Macedonia
  • Mexico
  • Netherlands

  • Norway
  • Oman
  • Pakistan
  • Paraguay
  • Philippines
  • Poland
  • Singapore
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Suriname
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Thailand
  • Togo
  • Turkey
  • United Kingdom
  • Yugoslavia

Fees & Process

The application process for the E visa includes filing a petition with the USCIS or U.S. Consulate. If filed with the USCIS, the application waiting period is generally several months. The USCIS offers an option for premium processing. For a $1,225 fee, the USCIS will process the petition in 15 days. If filed with a U.S. Consulate, it usually takes a few days for the visa to be placed in your passport from the date of the interview.

Our experienced attorneys work with the applicant to submit the most complete and thorough petition, which emphasizes the applicant’s education, qualifications, and experience. In addition, our attorneys know the processes and procedures to work with various government agencies to ensure the best possible outcome.

How We Can Help Obtain Your E-1 Visa

In our experience the preparation of a business plan that demonstrates how your business clearly meets the requirements of the E-1 visa program is critical. For that reason our attorneys work with a specialist team of business analysts to prepare business plans that meet the approval of the toughest immigration and consular officers.

With our experience, the process is step-by-step. We listen. We address your concerns. We help you gather the required information and documentation. And then we carefully prepare all letters and forms needed to obtain your E-1 Visa approval.

Our E-1 visa attorneys experience benefits you in several key areas. We:

  • Full Review of your personal circumstances.
  • Confirmation that the E-1 visa is appropriate for you.
  • Checklist of documents that you need for your E-1 visa.
  • Accurate preparation of your visa application.
  • Submission of your visa application to the proper government agencies.
  • Careful co-ordination of all correspondence with government agencies.
  • Expert advise on how to handle yourself at your Consular or INS interview, and what to expect.
  • Online access to your case status.
  • Unlimited personal communication with your own Rai Law immigration attorney.

E-1 Visa Attorney Experience & Responsiveness that Makes a Difference. Our E-1 Attorney Pledge:

  • 100% commitment to processing your E-1 Visa quickly & successfully.
  • Strong E-1 Visa attorney experience & knowledge.
  • Open E-1 Attorney communication & responsiveness is among our top priority.
  • Highest level of E-1 Visa Attorney service at an affordable FLAT rate.
  • Some E-1 Visa applications can be submitted in as little as 1-2 weeks upto few months.
  • To discuss your case call: (415)-693-9131 or Mail Us.
Something very important you may want to know

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. 1
    What type of visa will my dependent will get?

    The spouse of minor children of an E1 visa holder can apply for dependent E visa status. With E-1 dependent status the spouse of an E-visa holder may lawfully work in the United States.

  2. 2
    Can I get Green Card with E-1 Visa?

    Although there are options and our firm assists client adjust from E visa status to that of “green card” holder, an E-1 visa does NOT directly lead to permanent residency (also called a “green card”). In fact, an E-1 applicant must have the intent to return to his or her country of origin once the visa expires.


Please provide your quick information.

E-1 Visa Attorney Consultation

      This website is meant solely for the purpose of information and not for the purposes of providing legal advice. The website owners do not claim copy right on any article, document or judgement posted in this site.


      San Francisco: 415-693-9131