B-1 Visa


The B visa is the one most business people will ever need because it allows the international executive to travel to the United States for to conduct a number of business purposes. These may lawfully include any of the following examples of proper business activities during a temporary business visit to the U.S.:

  • Negotiating and executing contracts;
  • Interviewing prospective vendors and suppliers;
  • Conducting research toward a future business plan, such as determining in which city the business will launch its enterprise;
  • Meeting with U.S. business associates or partners.

You must demonstrate the following in order to be eligible to obtain a B-1 visa:

  1. The purpose of your trip is to enter the United States for business of a legitimate nature.
  2. You plan to remain for a specific limited period of time.
  3. You have the funds to cover the expenses of the trip and your stay in the United States.
  4. You have a residence outside the United States in which you have no intention of abandoning, as well as other binding ties which will ensure your return abroad at the end of the visit.
  5. You are otherwise admissible to the United States.

B-1 Suitable For

  • Participants to attend scientific, educational, professional, business, or religious conventions
  • Persons to work on specific projects in the U.S. and paid by a foreign employer
  • Business professionals to participate in commercial transactions (which do not involve gainful employment) such as negotiating contracts and consulting with business associates
  • Persons to undertake independent studies such as feasibility studies, market research or any such activity
  • Persons to attend professional or business conferences, workshops, or seminars
  • Business professionals to explore possibilities to set up a subsidiary of a foreign corporation, or to make investments
  • Personal or domestic servants to come to the U.S. with a U.S. citizen or nonimmigrant employer on B, E, F, H, I, J, L, M, O, P, R, or TN status
  • Technical personnel to install or service equipment pursuant to a contract of sale, or to provide after sales service
  • Business professionals to attend meetings as a member of the Board of Directors of a U.S. corporation
  • Persons to observe business, professional, or vocational activity as long as it does not involve any hands-on activity
  • Professional athletes to compete for tournament money and not for a salary
  • Professionals to conduct business consultations with business associates in the U.S.
  • Purchasing agents of a foreign employer to come to the U.S. to procure goods, components, or raw materials for use outside the U.S.
  • Foreign business persons coming to the U.S. in conjunction with Litigation
  • Persons rendering professional services in the U.S. that would otherwise qualify them for an H-1B visa, but who are paid for those services by a source outside the U.S.
  • Persons employed outside the U.S. who are paid from abroad, and who come to the U.S. to undertake an established training program that would qualify them for an H-3 visa
  • Employees of foreign airlines who are engaged in productive employment in the U.S. and paid in the U.S. who are not eligible for E-1 treaty trader status
  • Other persons such as for bona fide religious missionaries and crew members on yachts
  • Special situations involving Canadians and Mexicans such as Canadian truck drivers who are paid by either Canadian or U.S. firms and who transport commodities across the Canadian Border
  • Foreign companies to send their personnel to the U.S. to install or service equipment pursuant to a contract of sale or to provide after sales service
  • U.S. companies to bring foreign business consultants for training or expert advice
  • U.S. universities to bring foreign guest speakers or lecturers


The first step to obtaining a B-1 visa is to go online and complete the DS-160 Non-immigrant Visa Electronic Application. Make sure that you triple check your information, there’s no way to go back after submission.

Once you’ve completed the application, you will get a confirmation page and a DS-160 number. You will need to use the number to schedule an interview appointment with the U.S. consulate or embassy in your home country. You will also need to bring a printout of the confirmation page to the appointment as well as a receipt of payment for the DS-160 application.

Go to your visa appointment for a one-on-one interview with a consular officer. If the officer clears you, you will be able to enter the U.S. under B-1 status for the allotted duration.

How We Can Help Obtain Your B-1 Visa

It is important to note that US consulate officials have wide latitude and discretion to approve or deny visitor visa applications, and we hear almost daily of consulate officials who have denied applications without even reviewing a client’s documentation. While we can’t prevent such abuses of discretion and duty by consulate officials, when a consulate official is willing to review a visitor visa application in good faith, attorney advice and assistance can help ensure that a client accurately completes an application, and has the “best” documentation possible to support the application, which can help maximize chances of approval.

It should also be noted that a client is BEST served talking to an attorney BEFORE submitting an initial application. Often potential clients contact us after an initial application is denied. It is extremely difficult to get a new visitor visa application approved, after a recent initial denial. Your best chance at getting approval is your first chance, so make sure you understand the process completely and fully before submitting that first visitor visa application.

Our B-1 visa attorneys experience benefits you in several key areas. We:

  • Clarify options and potential scenarios surrounding your case.
  • Assist you in collecting the proper documentation.
  • Correctly classify the application and ensure requirements are met.
  • Prepare and submit all forms and documentation.
  • Communicate with the DOL, USCIS, and the Consulate.
  • Monitor the entire B-1 visa immigration application process.

B-1 Visa Attorney Experience & Responsiveness that Makes a Difference. Our B-1 Attorney Pledge:

  • 100% focused on processing your B-1 Visa quickly & successfully.
  • Strong B-1 Visa lawyer experience & deep knowledge of  B-1 Visas, consular processing, & USCIS.
  • Best in class service and a commitment to open, responsive communication.
  • Outstanding level of B-1 Visa Lawyer service at an affordable FLAT rate.
  • To discuss your case call: (415)-693-9131 or Mail Us.

Something very important you may want to know

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. 1
    When can I Obtain a B1 Visa?

    Premium processing, in which the application will be processed within 15 calendar days, is not available in B-1 applications. The processing time varies. USCIS provides a wait-time schedule. If an initial visa is sought, the consulate can schedule an appointment for you in short order.

  2. 2
    What are the Advantages and Limitations of a B1 Visa?

    The B visa can be obtained more quickly at consulates or embassies than any other visa, and are multipurpose. You can eventually get a 10-year B1 visa, instead of a 6 month visa. The department of state instructs consular officers to give applicants the maximum amount of time possible based on reciprocity. For Indian citizens, a maximum of 10 years can be granted. Usually, the first time one applies for a visitor visa, it will be for 6 months, and on the second time, the officer is more likely to give the full 10-year visa.

    A limitation of B visa status is that extensions of status in the US are difficult to obtain. In the event that an individual seeks an extension, and stays beyond their I-94 end date, and the extension is later denied, the 10-year visa will be revoked.

  3. 3
    May I Apply for a Green Card while on a B Visa?

    It may be possible, but this is a complicated issue, and varies depending on various circumstances.

  4. 4
    Can my spouse or dependents visit with me with B-1 Visa?

    If you are a spouse or child of a B-1 visa holder, you are not eligible for a dependent visa and must file separately for a B-2 visa in order to be permitted entry into the U.S. The process is in many ways like acquiring any other non-immigrant visa in that it requires the applicant to complete a form, pay the designated fee and pass an interview in addition to maintaining a valid passport.


Please provide your quick information.

B-1 Visa Attorney Consultation

      This website is meant solely for the purpose of information and not for the purposes of providing legal advice. The website owners do not claim copy right on any article, document or judgement posted in this site.


      San Francisco: 415-693-9131